Wednesday 18 November marked the start of World Antimicrobial Awareness Week 2020.
The objective of the week is to raise awareness of antimicrobial resistance ((AMR) across the globe and to help prevent the further increase and spread of drug-resistant infections.
In recognition of this, we take a look at why the often overlooked challenge of AMR is something we must tackle sooner rather than later1,2
- European Antibiotic Awareness Day 2020. Available at: https://antibiotic.ecdc.europa.eu/en.
- World Antimicrobial Awareness Week. Available at: https://www.who.int/campaigns/world-antimicrobial-awareness-week.
- What are antibiotics and how do they work? Available at: https://microbiologysociety.org/members-outreach-resources/outreach-resources/antibiotics-unearthed/antibiotics-and-antibiotic-resistance/what-are-antibiotics-and-how-do-they-work.html.
- Antimicrobial resistance. Available at: https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/antimicrobial-resistance.
- Resistance mechanisms. Available at: https://www.reactgroup.org/toolbox/understand/antibiotic-resistance/resistance-mechanisms-in-bacteria/.
- Reygaert WC. AIMS Microbiol 2018; 4 (3): 482–501.
- Ventola CL. P T 2015; 40 (4): 277–283.
- Silver LL. Clin Microbiol Rev 2011; 24 (1): 71–109.
- Izadi E et al. Front Pharmacol 2019; 10: 881.
- Antibiotic resistance threats in the United States, 2013. CDC. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/pdf/ar-threats-2013-508.pdf
- Hayden MK et al. J Clin Microbiol. 2005 Oct;43(10):5285-7.
- World Antibiotic Awareness Week: 18 – 24 November 2020. Available at: https://www.who.int/campaigns/world-antimicrobial-awareness-week/2020.
- Tackling antimicrobial resistance 2019–2024: The UK’s five-year national action plan. Available at: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/784894/UK_AMR_5_year_national_action_plan.pdf.
- World health day – the rise and fall of antibiotics? Available at: https://www.reactgroup.org/news-and-views/news-and-opinions/year-2018/world-health-day-the-rise-and-fall-of-antibiotics/.
- New report calls for urgent action to avert antimicrobial resistance crisis. Available at: https://www.who.int/news/item/29-04-2019-new-report-calls-for-urgent-action-to-avert-antimicrobial-resistance-crisis.
- Drug resistance. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/pdf/4-2013-508.pdf.
- Antibiotic resistance. Available at: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/antibiotic-resistance.
- What you need to know about antibiotic resistance. Available at: https://www.euro.who.int/en/media-centre/sections/press-releases/2012/11/self-prescription-of-antibiotics-boosts-superbugs-epidemic-in-the-european-region/antibiotic-resistance/what-you-need-to-know-about-antibiotic-resistance.
All websites accessed November 2020.
Author: Catherine McEnhill, Medical Writer, Porterhouse Medical.